These questions are about making the other person feel Important, Knowledgeable, and Interesting. Basically, they will feel good about themselves after you have left them. You are looking for commonality in these questions so you can carry on a conversation, however, don’t let the conversation become about YOU.
These are questions you can use at networking events, dinner parties, and other social events. Just make sure you always end with the last question if you are networking for business.
Please don’t ask more than 2 or 3 questions on this list when you meet someone otherwise you may come off sounding like a stalker.
1. What is it that you do?
2. How long have you been in this field?
3. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
4. Who is a good referral for you?
5. Who is your ideal dream client?
6. Do you have children?
7. What does your spouse do? (Only ask this if you are sure there is a spouse so it doesn’t appear that you are “hitting on” him/her.)
8. What is your favorite business app?
9. OK, business aside, what do you do for fun?
10. May I have your card?
The last question to ask everyone you meet that will set you apart from everyone else they meet is:
How can I help you with your business today?
©Jean Kuhn 2013 www.jeankuhn.com